We flew to Paris on the new Airbus A380. Which Roland was very excited about, but the truth is, it was exactly like any other plane to me (sorry Roland!). We arrived in Paris the next morning in the cold and dark and fought our way through Paris with all our luggage and found our apartment. Roland, Caron, Kim and Sage (Caron's sister and her daughter) had arrived the day before, so at least the apartment was inhabited and the fridge stocked. A quick rest and shower and we were off.

The best thing was that the van der Merwe's joined us in Paris for the week - I was so excited to see them again (they had emigrated to the UK in June). They came over to the apartment, and after lunch we all headed off the the Arc de Triomphe. We climbed all 284 steps to the top, but sadly the weather was rainy so our view wasn't marvellous. Then we walked down the Champs Elysees and after stopping (eventually) for a drink, we parted ways for the evening.

Wednesday, we went to the Isle de la Cite, an island in the Seine, which houses both Notre Dame and Sainte Chapelle (amongst other things!). As Carl and I had been to ND, and most of ND's features are actually on the outside, we joined the 1 1/2 hr queue to see St Chapelle - reputed to be the most beautiful church in Paris. While queueing, Roland, Meg and I skived off and found the most gorgeous little market which helped while away the time (LUCKY for Carl we had weight restrictions on our luggage, otherwise I would've bought some gorgeous wrought iron things. Not known for their lightness!!!). We were not disappointed and the Chapel was STUNNING. 15m high stained glass windows the whole way around, telling the story from Genesis to the Crucifixion. Amazing. We then wandered to Notre Dame and walked around it, admiring the gargoyles and flying buttresses.

Later we met the van der Merwes in the Latin Quarter and went a long way around, past the Pantheon, to find lunch. A very painful experience - R16o for a hamburger. Ouch! After saying good bye to the vdM's, we went via a sports store in the Latin Quarter which Roland had found on the web, and he and I bought ourselves some ski boots.
Thursday we went to Disneyland Paris with the vdM's. The kids loved it, but Dee and I agreed that it is completely over-rated. They queued for 1 1/2 hours for one roller-coaster ride. The rides were fun, but the crowds were awful. Ali and I braved the ride, Space Mountain, and we ended the day there. We got home 10 hours after leaving - completely exhausted.


Friday we rested a bit in the morning, and then the 4 of us went to the Louvre (we didn't go in) and had a gorgeous (but freezing) walk through the Tuilerie gardens all the way to the Place de la Concorde.

We walked back along the Seine past the Musee d'Orsay and then headed home for a rest. Megs and I bought ourselves each a trendy hat to keep out the cold.

We met Roland & Caron at the Eiffel Tower at 5pm for our trip up to the top. Sadly, the very top was closed due to ice, but we went to the 2nd floor and the view was still fantastic.

R & C left straight after with Kim and Sage, but we waited and met the vdM's. We took the train to the Latin Quarter and had a yummy meal there.

We strolled along the banks of the Seine for a while (if you think it sounds idyllic, it was!) and then took the train back to the Eiffel Tower to see the New Year in. Perhaps the less said about that the better? The fire works were very unspectacular, and the crowds were terrifying - especially with the kids. If someone had fallen, they would've been crushed, for sure. Terrifying!! When we finally made it home safely, I spent ages torturing myself with the 'what ifs'. Well, we can say we did NYE at the Eiffel Tower, but if I ever happen to be in Paris again over New Year, I think I'd rather go to bed!

Saturday morning we rested (having only got home at 1:30am), and then we went up to Sacre Coeur. It was very nice to see it, and we stopped for a great hot chocolate and pancakes nearby.

That evening the vdM's came over for good-bye dinner. It was so marvellous to see them this week, and we really miss them!
Early Sunday morning, it was time to say good-bye to Paris. I think we did so much and the kids got a good feel for the city. They were Metro champions by the end, and we walked out LEGS OFF to see all we saw in such a short time!
No comments:
Post a Comment